The Confucius Institute for Business and Communication opened at Heriot-Watt in June 2014. We’re one of over 350 Confucius Institutes around the world and the fifth in Scotland. However, we’re the only business-focused Confucius Institute in Scotland, one of five located in the UK.
The Institute offers a wide range of services to promote educational, economic and cultural links between Scotland and China. Building on Heriot-Watt’s global reputation and well-developed Chinese strategy, we aim to:
- Promote cross-cultural understanding
- Forge exciting new partnerships
- Support business engagement with China and Chinese culture
- Develop focused activity streams with specific business sectors (e.g. tourism and heritage)
- Attract more students to study in Scotland, and
- Foster joint research and academic collaborations.
We can provide formal and informal Chinese language learning, advice on business etiquette and cultural awareness, making us a great resource for business. We can work with businesses to identify specific needs and provide tailored programmes, including workshops and consultancy services. Above all, the Institute promotes greater understanding between the two countries — underlining the importance that Heriot-Watt University places on global collaboration and learning.
- The Book of Shanghai : Chen Danya & Wang Zhanhei in conversation
- Podcasting Chinese Lives : In Conversation with Story FM
- HSK 2 and HSK 3 Exams – January 2021
- First-ever Chinese Student Guide to Edinburgh set to inspire UK’s fastest-growing international student group
- New semester, new website, new courses