2nd Chinese Competition of Charitable Projects & Business Innovations

On April 2021 the 2nd Chinese Competition of Charitable Projects & Business Innovations for UK University Students was held online, there were 16 contestants from 9 universities participating in the competition.

Robin Wilson, who is a student from Lincs and the SCIBC at Heriot Watt University, took part in this completion and presented his innovative idea on inventing an App for second-hand E-Commerce to help with promoting the Low-carbon economy. He was delighted, as were we, that he won third prize because of his professional presentation and excellent responses during the Q&A session.

After the competition, the organisers invited Robin to be one of the hosts for the 2021 Chinese Bridge Competition which is due to be held in June 2021.  Robin is becoming well known and as a result has been offered a job with the China Hour.  

“To promote learning through competition” is an ideal way to motivate and improve Chinese language learning. As the number of Chinese language events increase in the UK, the SCIBC is looking forward to seeing more students at Heriot-Watt University getting to know and understand Chinese people and Chinese culture via language learning.

Robin commented that “Going into the Business Chinese competition I wasn’t really sure what to expect. While the Chinese bridge competition I entered last year was focussed a lot on performance and talent, this one was more centred around the content of the presentation. On top of that, the speech was longer this time so there was more to memorise and there wasn’t much preparation that could be done for the question section. Despite all this, the event went as smoothly as we could have hoped, and I managed to get third prize overall. I was very happy with the result and hopefully this experience can lead to further great opportunities in the future. I’d like to note that none of it would have been possible without the help of teachers Gu Wei and Zhang Ping who helped me through practices each week and encouraged me throughout the entire process, so I’d like to thank them very much for their support and continued advice.